Cloud Computing is a process in which resources of computer systems are available along with data storage and computing power without participation of any user. It’s convenient features have shifted traditional ways of business methods and has attracted users towards it. Its basic feature explains data centres which are available to the users over the Internet.
FEATURES OF CLOUD COMPUTING:
- It helps in minimizing or avoiding cost in IT infrastructure.
- It requires less maintenance cost and has improved managing ability.
- It can manage the fluctuating and unpredictable demands.
- It reduces worker wages and reduces the chances of human errors.
- It gives flexibility to the business by providing a wide range of computing resources in a short duration of time.
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF STANDARD AND TECHNOLOGY (NIST) have listed “five main essentials” of cloud computing which are:
- Broad network access
- Resource pooling
- Rapid elasticity
- Measured services
- On demand self service.
The presence of low-cost computers and storage devices, highly efficient networks along with the use of hardware virtualization, service oriented programs all these led to the efficient growth in the use of cloud computing. The principle behind the working of Cloud Computing is Virtualization. Virtualization works by converting physical computing devices into one or more virtual devices which can be easily managed and used for performing the tasks. Cloud computing service providers provide you security by securing your data, infrastructure from being vulnerable to potential and social threats.
Cloud computing has been categorised into three types which are required in certain conditions as you cannot use any single kind of cloud computing at every point of your business. These three categories are: Private, Public and Hybrid Cloud.
- Private Cloud: It is mainly created for single party organization which can be managed both internally or by the third party. Private cloud helps in organizing space for hardware and environment controls. It provides computing resources like storage over the Internet. But in every step they raise issues of threat which need to be corrected to prevent serious threat issues and vulnerability. Microsoft Azure is one of the best Private Cloud providers.
- Public Cloud: When the cloud is being rendered for the use of public, then that cloud is called Public Cloud. Basically there is no difference between Private and Public cloud except that of security in services which are made available for local users. Some of the Public Cloud service providers are: Amazon Web Services (AWS), IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, Google and Alibaba. IT organizations uses public cloud computing resources for temporary needs which cannot be met by public clouds.
- Hybrid Cloud: when the Public and Private clouds are amalgamated, then there comes Hybrid Cloud. Gartner defines a hybrid cloud service as a cloud computing service which is composed of some public, private and community cloud services from different service providers. It has the advantage of being a flexible and unique adaptive memorising process. Hybrid cloud depends on several factors like data requirements, level of control over the data and the applications used by the organizations. It helps you by providing flexibility to your business, provides security and deployment by maintaining infrastructure.
IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service) and SaaS (Software as a Service) are the service models of Cloud Computing.
IaaS: It provides infrastructure like Servers, Virtual Machines, Operating Systems, Networks and Storage on the base of rent.
SaaS: SaaS helps the users connecting to the applications through the Internet on the basis of subscription.
PaaS: PaaS cloud services are used for the purpose of developing, testing and maintenance of software. The working of IaaS and PaaS are similar except that it provides exceptional tools like DBMS (Database Management System) and BI Service.
There are some companies which offer cloud computing services. They charge their users for the service they provide and the charges are based on the basis of services used by users. Some of the top Cloud Computing companies are:
- IBM Cloud
- Verizon Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services
- Oracle Cloud
These cloud computing providers depend upon their characteristics to provide their services to small consumers and their business and to mid-sized businesses.